This review contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link I, or the author, will receive a small commission from the sale. This comes at no additional cost to you.
Thank you for taking the time to do a Q&A with me. I was a little upset I’d already committed to as many reviews as I could handle when Dave told me about your book, Knightmare Arcanist, coming on tour. It sounds fascinating so I wanted to get in the tour in any way I could.
I’m looking forward to hearing what you have to say, so I’ll kick off my questions now!
- You’ve released the first 4 books since June 2019, how long was this story in your head
- First off, thank you for having me!
- It’s a pleasure to be here! In terms of books? The series is set for 7 books and one spin-off of short stories from the viewpoint of other characters.
- What was the inspiration for these characters?
- Each character is a little part of me, but it’s actually a bunch of archetypes I just love to see. Volke is filled with determination, and clashes with the haughty Zaxis. Illia is resourceful, and helps Volke whenever she can—the dynamics are what I love best!
- How did you come up with such a unique take on magic and mythical creatures?
- I really love magical creatures, I have Pokemon to blame! Anything to do with creature companions as well. These are my jam. As for the magic system, I just thought it would be interesting to have magics based on the creatures themselves. Finding the biggest and best creature—the adventure of growing alongside them. So many possibilities!
- Which character is your favourite and why?
- Volke and Zelfree are tied for me. Volke because of his personality. I adore it. And Zelfree because he gets lost in his own failings sometimes—very relatable, at least to me!
- Does this series have a finite number of books, or could it go on forever?
- The series is planned for 7 (plus 1) but I’ve given thought to a sequel series already. Maybe it could go on forever?
- Have you got plans for more books in the series?
- I’m currently writing the fifth book, World Serpent Arcanist. So, yes! Plenty more!
- If you could pick any actor to play Volke, who would it be and why?
- I would probably go with Alex Landi—but maybe someone younger? I think he might be too old now.
- Does the cover artwork represent something significant in each book?
- Yes, definitely! The cover of Knightmare Arcanist has the phoenix and Volke’s black sword!
- What are you currently reading? What do you think of it so far?
- I’m currently reading A Daughter of Blood by Anne Bishop. I love it! This is the third time I’m reading through it.
- If you could sum up this book in one sentence to make people read it, what would that sentence be?
- Probably: a coming-of-age fantasy filled with pirates, mythical creatures, and a plague most foul!
Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions! I hope you had as much fun as I did. And I’m looking forward to reading your books in the future.
Anthea – Proud Book Reviews